It is with the dying of the evening’s light, – that the qualities, the possibilities of light are revealed. Similarly, it is in pondering our own dying that the qualities, wealth and possibilities of our living are also revealed. Three authors here write on the change that meditation upon death has on their characters. (Dostoevski’s and […]
Ivan Illyich as he is dying asks, “how have I lived?” ( We don’t have to be dying to ask this question). As he asked this question, “Pictures of his past rose before him one after another. They always began with what was nearest in time and then went back to what was most remote […]
In Tolstoy’s “the Death of Ivan Illyich” we see doctors through the eyes of the judge, Ivan, who has a mysterious illness.
Visits are described : “He (a doctor) comes in fresh, hearty, plump, and cheerful, with that look on his face that seems to say: ‘There now, you’re in a panic about something, […]
Detectives gather clues to build up the case, they do not limit themselves to one clue. Yet doctors might hobble their patients to one symptom. The story[i] below “the elephant in the dark house” also shows how a blinkered approach may not give the full picture.
“The elephant was in a dark house; some Hindus […]
In my friend, Edward Lemond’s recent book of poems, “Circadiana”[i] is one about a friend’s end of life. He titled this poem
“Suddenly she lifted her head
And looked around the room.
It was as if she had seen a ghost.
She tried to say something
But couldn’t. I leaned […]
- Your Theory of Error Matters
- Meditate on death to live more fully.
- Tolstoy’s Ivan Illyich asks, “how have I lived?” A Cautionary Tale.
- Ivan Illyich’s Doctors treat his disease but neglect him.
- The Elephant in the Dark House
- “Needless” Mr. Lemond’s reflection on end of life gasping for breath.
- We see what we expect to see.
- The ageless conquest of oneself
- The Inner Game of Golf- of Medicine
- What advice would you give to a medical student?
- “That was a curious incident – the corneal abrasion did not pain.
- Poems to jolt when humanity has flat-lined in the hosptial
- Heard at a Journal Club On “the Difficult Encounter”
- Brochure for upcoming CME event: Staying Tuned La Malbaie, May 8th, 2016
- Staying Tuned CME May 8th at La Malbaie QC
- Percocet (oxycodone): This White Collar Heroin is a dog collar. Who will escape?
- Is Cynicism pernicious to your health?
- Should the privileged get privileged care?
- Antoine Saint de Exupery (or The Carpenter and his Block of Wood)
- Heartsink is a better term than Difficult Patient?
Contact the Author
- January 2017 (1)
- July 2016 (5)
- June 2016 (4)
- May 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (4)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (1)
- November 2015 (3)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (4)
- May 2015 (3)
- April 2015 (1)
- March 2015 (3)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (4)
- December 2014 (3)
- November 2014 (3)
- October 2014 (6)
- September 2014 (3)
- August 2014 (4)
- July 2014 (3)
- June 2014 (2)
- May 2014 (7)
- April 2014 (3)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (6)
- January 2013 (3)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (1)