Last week, my wife and I were awoken at 4 am by a noise, like an explosion. I dressed to see what had happened – a pipe burst, a broken window?
Checked the windows upstairs. My wife said it seemed like down stairs. (It is always reaffirming to be given the nod for some tasks […]
The ageless conquest of oneself
Before examining possible critical variables for the doctor, let’s recap Gallwey’s suggestions for the golfer in “The Inner Game of Golf.”
Impediments to a fluid swing are over-tightness due to anxiety about the swing or the score. To improve, Gallwey says play as Bobby Jones claimed to play it-a conquest […]
Gallwey in his “Inner Game of Golf” surely approaches the golf swing with more attention and rigor than we approach our patients. Why is that? He writes 200 pages on something that takes about two seconds to complete.
In this post, let’s review Gallwey’s diagnosis and treatment for the ailing golf swing. And in the […]
Here two artists advise possible apprentices:
Rainer Marie Rilke counsels a young poet, “Go into yourself…acknowledge to yourself whether you would have die if it were denied you to write.”
Nadia Boulanger when asked what advice she would give to a young musician, she replied:
“Do not take up music unless you would rather die than […]
- Your Theory of Error Matters
- Meditate on death to live more fully.
- Tolstoy’s Ivan Illyich asks, “how have I lived?” A Cautionary Tale.
- Ivan Illyich’s Doctors treat his disease but neglect him.
- The Elephant in the Dark House
- “Needless” Mr. Lemond’s reflection on end of life gasping for breath.
- We see what we expect to see.
- The ageless conquest of oneself
- The Inner Game of Golf- of Medicine
- What advice would you give to a medical student?
- “That was a curious incident – the corneal abrasion did not pain.
- Poems to jolt when humanity has flat-lined in the hosptial
- Heard at a Journal Club On “the Difficult Encounter”
- Brochure for upcoming CME event: Staying Tuned La Malbaie, May 8th, 2016
- Staying Tuned CME May 8th at La Malbaie QC
- Percocet (oxycodone): This White Collar Heroin is a dog collar. Who will escape?
- Is Cynicism pernicious to your health?
- Should the privileged get privileged care?
- Antoine Saint de Exupery (or The Carpenter and his Block of Wood)
- Heartsink is a better term than Difficult Patient?
Contact the Author
- January 2017 (1)
- July 2016 (5)
- June 2016 (4)
- May 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (4)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (1)
- November 2015 (3)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (4)
- May 2015 (3)
- April 2015 (1)
- March 2015 (3)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (4)
- December 2014 (3)
- November 2014 (3)
- October 2014 (6)
- September 2014 (3)
- August 2014 (4)
- July 2014 (3)
- June 2014 (2)
- May 2014 (7)
- April 2014 (3)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (6)
- January 2013 (3)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (1)