Wilde’s observation, to love oneself is the start of a life long romance, is rooted in the instinct to preen ourselves to be accepted by the flock and for doctors the flock is our colleagues. This social preening can seduce the consulting physician when confronted with a hostile consultant to slink away and blend with the foliage of […]
In the medical ethos, speaking truth to power is often difficult. “I’m not supposed to be doubting about my patient‘s management, I am supposed to have a clear plan. That’s what many of my supervisors want.” A resident in his first year of medicine, confided […]
At the recent Family Medicine Conference in Moncton on June 6, Dr. Fiona Bergin, Assistant Professor at Dalhousie University, recounted a case where initially she did not appreciate a clear presentation of diabetes in a beautiful young girl. This oversight Dr. Bergin attributed to her hope that this beautiful young girl would not have a […]
What is the speed limit for diagnosing?
I presented yesterday at the Family Medicine Conference of the New Brunswick College of Family Physicians.
During the talk I referred to the rules of the road. We have amber lights for pedestrian crossings, stop and yield signs and […]
- Your Theory of Error Matters
- Meditate on death to live more fully.
- Tolstoy’s Ivan Illyich asks, “how have I lived?” A Cautionary Tale.
- Ivan Illyich’s Doctors treat his disease but neglect him.
- The Elephant in the Dark House
- “Needless” Mr. Lemond’s reflection on end of life gasping for breath.
- We see what we expect to see.
- The ageless conquest of oneself
- The Inner Game of Golf- of Medicine
- What advice would you give to a medical student?
- “That was a curious incident – the corneal abrasion did not pain.
- Poems to jolt when humanity has flat-lined in the hosptial
- Heard at a Journal Club On “the Difficult Encounter”
- Brochure for upcoming CME event: Staying Tuned La Malbaie, May 8th, 2016
- Staying Tuned CME May 8th at La Malbaie QC
- Percocet (oxycodone): This White Collar Heroin is a dog collar. Who will escape?
- Is Cynicism pernicious to your health?
- Should the privileged get privileged care?
- Antoine Saint de Exupery (or The Carpenter and his Block of Wood)
- Heartsink is a better term than Difficult Patient?
Contact the Author
- January 2017 (1)
- July 2016 (5)
- June 2016 (4)
- May 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (4)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (1)
- November 2015 (3)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (4)
- May 2015 (3)
- April 2015 (1)
- March 2015 (3)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (4)
- December 2014 (3)
- November 2014 (3)
- October 2014 (6)
- September 2014 (3)
- August 2014 (4)
- July 2014 (3)
- June 2014 (2)
- May 2014 (7)
- April 2014 (3)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (6)
- January 2013 (3)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (1)