Two poems describe the giving of important news by doctors to patients. The first “A Kind Word” is by Dr. Kevin Black, formerly of Ballycastle, Northern Ireland and now a family physician on Texada Island, B.C., […]
The following is what happened to the late Dr. Orville Messenger, a thoracic surgeon when he “spent time with a patient.”
“Looking back on the hundreds of patients, I treated for cancer of the lung, and reflecting on the very few for whom surgery provided a real cure, I know I’d have been […]
Robert Persig, in his inquiry into values, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, relates why he fatigued on a pilgrimage to the abode of Shiva in the Himalayas. Older monks, who were with him, had not. Why?
I believe that Persig’s insight is of relevance to the physician and fatigue and compassion fatigue or burnout.
Ok, maybe in a skilled trade that requires a delicate firm hand and quick thinking like Motorcycle Maintenance or a skilled art that requires fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination and precision such as Archery, but Zen and the Art of Shovelling Snow? In shovelling snow can it become a moment for reaching […]
- Your Theory of Error Matters
- Meditate on death to live more fully.
- Tolstoy’s Ivan Illyich asks, “how have I lived?” A Cautionary Tale.
- Ivan Illyich’s Doctors treat his disease but neglect him.
- The Elephant in the Dark House
- “Needless” Mr. Lemond’s reflection on end of life gasping for breath.
- We see what we expect to see.
- The ageless conquest of oneself
- The Inner Game of Golf- of Medicine
- What advice would you give to a medical student?
- “That was a curious incident – the corneal abrasion did not pain.
- Poems to jolt when humanity has flat-lined in the hosptial
- Heard at a Journal Club On “the Difficult Encounter”
- Brochure for upcoming CME event: Staying Tuned La Malbaie, May 8th, 2016
- Staying Tuned CME May 8th at La Malbaie QC
- Percocet (oxycodone): This White Collar Heroin is a dog collar. Who will escape?
- Is Cynicism pernicious to your health?
- Should the privileged get privileged care?
- Antoine Saint de Exupery (or The Carpenter and his Block of Wood)
- Heartsink is a better term than Difficult Patient?
Contact the Author
- January 2017 (1)
- July 2016 (5)
- June 2016 (4)
- May 2016 (3)
- March 2016 (4)
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (1)
- November 2015 (3)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (4)
- August 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (4)
- May 2015 (3)
- April 2015 (1)
- March 2015 (3)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (4)
- December 2014 (3)
- November 2014 (3)
- October 2014 (6)
- September 2014 (3)
- August 2014 (4)
- July 2014 (3)
- June 2014 (2)
- May 2014 (7)
- April 2014 (3)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (1)
- January 2014 (4)
- December 2013 (3)
- November 2013 (7)
- July 2013 (3)
- June 2013 (1)
- April 2013 (6)
- January 2013 (3)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (2)
- April 2012 (1)